Thursday 2 October 2008

Taste-Bud Memory Lane...

Mmmmmm, well, the CNN fun continues ;)
CNN wrote a few days ago to update us that their story on my weight loss has now been viewed more than 2 MILLION times – making it their BIGGEST Health story of the year so far – WOW :) Fun...
Their article seems to have created quite a substantial buzzzzzzz about raw food, both online and beyond, which is so exciting to see. Countless blogs have been popping up all over the place in the last week discussing my raw food weight loss story and the concept of eating food straight from the Earth...The range of different sites who are presenting these articles is amazing – from ‘self-development’ sites, to vegetarian/vegan places, fashion/celebrity blogs, womens’ health sites, ‘hot trend’ outlets, diet/weight loss sites, fitness blogs and so on...it’s fascinating to think of all the different ‘demographic groups’ who are tapping into this info now... Here are a few examples:

*Jonny Bowden Blog
*International Business Times
*Trend Hunter
*Losing It
*Hippy Gourmet
*Encyclo-Central
*That’s Fit
*Bitten and Bound
*Strands of Purls
*Celeb Galz

on September the 29th I had:

1 quart water
2 cups pau d’arco tea
bowl of raw ‘grawnola’ with pecan milk – YUMMM
2 cups water
1 pomegranate and a big handful of raspberries
20 chlorella ‘nuts’
3 cups celery, zucchini, beetroot, carrot juice
2 cups energy soup with flax crackers, followed by a little leftover raw cheesecake from Festie of Life
3 cups water


on September the 30th I had:

1 quart water
mug of ‘wild power’ tea
2 cups veggie juice: mixed greens, spinach, carrots with greens, celery, cucumber, endive, chard, ginger
2 cups energy soup with flax crackers, tahini & sundried tomatoes, followed by a ball of durian ice-cream ;)
3 cups water
1 cup veggie juice: mixed greens, spinach, carrots with greens, celery, cucumber, endive, chard, ginger
bowl of AMAZING broccoli/zucchini/sun-dried tomato salad (see recipe below ;), followed by a little hazelnut ‘dream mix’ – yummy :)
3 cups water

MmmMMmmmm, I have 2 YUMMY little recipes from yesterday to share with you…
Firstly, I took a trip down taste-bud memory lane with a little flax cracker/tahini/sundried-tomato creation...
When I first started out on my raw path, I would read ‘Become Younger’ by Norman Walker in my break-times at the greenhouse I was working in, in Iceland... Norman writes in there about cottage cheese being a good alternative to hard, pasteurised cheeses. As I was transitioning away from a life of extreme junk food living, this appealed to me as a tasty stepping stone towards a life more RAW...so, I got into the habit of constructing little ‘open sandwiches’ for myself made of ‘manna/essene/sprouted wheat’ bread topped with cottage cheese and crowned with a squishy, chewy piece of sun-dried tomato, dripping in oil, straight from the jar ;) LOL...I LOOOOOOVED it. When I would get to the end of the tomatoes in the jar, I would also then take chunks of the Essene bread and dunk them in to the oil... ;)
I had never been into eating cottage cheese before in my life – it had always seemed very dull to me – like smthg people were ‘required’ to eat if they were on a diet ;) LOL...now I fell totally in love with it as I stepped away from mountains of pasta, pizza, cakes, cookies and so on, towards more and more raw foods... Now, if I was to eat that kind of ‘open sandwich’ these days – essene bread, cottage cheese and sundried tomatoes dripping in oil, I think I would feel VERY unwell, after 6.5 years on this path. Back then though, it was my FAVOURITE new snack and eating things like this, along with an absolute ABUNDANCE of raw fruit, vegetables and so on, I still released 105lbs in ONE YEAR, so, it worked just fine for this body back then, at the start of my journey ;) This is, of course, because of what I was LEAVING OUT (e.g. pasta, standard bread, cookies etc) and replacing instead with these ‘open sandwiches’...
WELL, yesterday at lunch, I ‘accidentally’ re-created that same kind of snack, yet this time a TRULY raw version – WOW :) It was like transporting my taste-buds back 6 years ;) LOL. I took a flax cracker, spread some tahini on it and placed a soaked sundried tomato on top of that – it was simple and DELICIOUS... Mmmmm, FUN - I'd definitely recommend it... ;)

on October the 1st I had:

1 quart water
2 cups veggie juice: chard, lettuce, carrots with greens, mixed greens, endive, celery, cucumber, radish, ginger
2 cups energy soup with flax crackers, followed by a little piece of hardened hazelnut ‘dream mix’
3 cups water
1 cup veggie juice: chard, lettuce, carrots with greens, mixed greens, endive, celery, cucumber, radish, ginger
plate of yummy stuff at Manna raw café: nori roll, sea spaghetti salad, guacamole, followed by pieces of Shell’s amazing cheesecakes
3 cups water


On October the 2nd I had:

1 quart water
little mug of ‘wild power’ tea
tbsp wheatgrass powder
shot glass of orange juice
2 cups veggie juice: chard, lettuce, carrots with greens, endive, celery, cucumber, radish, ginger, fennel, mixed sprouts
2 cups energy soup with flax crackers, followed by a little dessert bowl with a mix of pieces of ‘hazelnut dream bar’, raw chocolate and durian ice cream – heavenly ;)
mug of spicy tea
3 cups water
2 cups veggie juice: chard, lettuce, carrots with greens, endive, celery, cucumber, radish, ginger, fennel, mixed sprouts
mug of spicy tea
1 cup water

OK, the SECOND amazing recipe I'd love to share was a very humble-looking broccoli-salad-creation made by the Monarch. This remarkable concoction had just 8 simple ingredients and was one of the TASTIEST raw food meals I’ve ever eaten – creamy, crunchy, ‘comfort’ food for winter-time snuggles and yumminess ;) Ok, here’s what he used, for 2 people (and we had some leftovers too, actually ;) :

Big head of broccoli
Medium-sized zucchini
Big handful of soaked sundried tomatoes
1 big avocado
2 tbsp pine nut butter
1 clove garlic
little bunch of cilantro
little handful of dulse seaweed strips

…and here’s what he did: cut off the big stalks of the broccoli (for juicing at another time) and cut down the broccoli heads into little ‘florettes’. Diced down the zucchini into little tiny cubes. Put all of that into a big bowl together and added in the dulse strips. Then he took the sundried tomatoes, avocado flesh, pine nut butter, garlic and cilantro and blended them all together in a food processor until they formed a smooooooth, rich, yummy paste/sauce consistency. He added that paste to the big bowl of chopped veggies, mushed it all together by hand so that the sauce thoroughly covered all the veggies and VOILA :) YUMMMMMMMMMMMMINES on a plate.
I love that the veggies are seasonal (well, at least here in the UK at the moment ;) This seems to me like a really inexpensive, satisfying, easy meal to make. You can of course change things around – like replacing the pine nut butter with more avo, tahini or smthg similar...or add in different herbs/spices and so on...play with your food and ENJOY :)

All love,
Angela. xxx

blog comments powered by Disqus