Friday 6 July 2007

The Tale of Smurfette and the Wheat Berries...

Today I took time out and went into the yummy-crazy world of Niagara Falls…WOW…what a mixture…incredible, beautiful, awe-inspiring natural wonder meets all kinds of plastic neon tourist-orientated flotsam…and everyone is dressed like smurfs ;) lol…hundreds and hundreds of people…quite amazing…so, we joined the blue plastic army and boarded the Maid of the Mist…it was SOOOOOOO beautiful to see the falls so close…I was here perhaps 10 years ago and don’t recall having gone so near to the water…the boat goes right into the ‘horseshoe’ of the falls and waits there a while…looking up, you are surrounded by cascading, thundering walls of water on all sides…we were DRENCHED from the spray (except for the covering of the smurf uniforms of course) and the water felt surprisingly clean and refreshing…I was howling like a banshee…I loved it :) I also happened to be eating a box of cherries at the time, which got cleansed in the mighty shower from Niagara too…wOOOOOOoooo…what a place…just magnificent…

On July the 5th I had:

1 litre water
300ml rejuvelac
½ medium papaya
500ml water
spinach/sunflower greens/sauerkraut salad with hemp seed/flax oil/salt mixture, in nori wraps
500ml water
700ml cucumber/celery/fennel/lime juice
1 litre banana/romaine/spirulina smoothie with whole gojis thrown in for chewability ;)
500ml water

OK, so I started making rejuvelac…I’d never done it before and am so far enjoying it. For those not familiar, rejuvelac is a drink made by fermenting wheat berries. It was one of Wiggie’s favourites and I’m quite into the dear old gal’s writings at the moment, so decided to brew up a batch for myself. On first SMELL, I was not taken with it…to be honest, it smelt like old socks…or mouldy cheese…hmmm…and YET, when I started to drink it, it is actually very mild and quite pleasant. It’s also outrageously packed with nutrients and live enzymes. It’s rich in vitamins B and E, has more vitamin C than orange juice, valuable friendly bacteria, proteins and enzymes, helps digestion and balances the intestinal flora. Wow...
So now I’m drinking it every day. I’m rather proud of myself in fact for having made my first batch. One of the less-than-thrilling aspects of living on the road, for me, is that doing things like taking the time to sprout things or make my own crackers, etc, doesn’t tend to happen…I have been stopped in one place for a few weeks now though, so it seemed like an ideal chance to try smthg like this…I’d recommend it…like many things, it’s SO easy when you know how to do it, very inexpensive and will give you masses of interesting-smelling liquid to nurture your intestinal flora with ;) See below for instructions on how to make some yourself and ENJOY…

On July the 6th I had:

1 litre water
400ml rejuvelac
700ml cucumber/celery/fennel/lime juice
½ an AMAZING pineapple
400ml rejuvelac
spinach/sunflower greens/sauerkraut salad with hemp seed/flax oil/salt mixture, in nori wraps
500ml water
about 2lbs of amazing local cherries, some doused in water from Niagara Falls :O
500ml water
500ml rejuvelac
bowl of watermelon flesh
500ml water

Here’s how I made my rejuvelac. I soaked a load of soft wheat berries overnight for abt 8 hours (probably about a cup, I’d guess - I got them organic from a bulk section in a health food shop). Then the next morning I drained that soak water away.
I then sprouted the wheat berries for 2 days, rinsing them twice a day.
After that, I covered them with about 2 litres of water in glass jars with the tops covered with nut milk bags secured with rubber bands. I left them to ferment for 2 days, before my first batch was ready. I poured that off and started drinking it and storing it in the fridge.
I covered the wheat berries with another two litres of water and left them again, this time for a day. I poured of that batch into the container in the fridge, then repeated the same process for the last batch of 2 litres. So, I used the same berries 3 times, to get about 6 litres or 1.5 gallons of rejuvelac…and tomorrow I’ll throw the wheat berries out for the birdies to munch…what a great process…
If you want to investigate more about Wiggie and her fermented ways, HERE’s a selection of her books for your perusal…

Ooooo, happy 7/7/7 to everyone for Saturday ;) Looks set to be a yummy lucky day…ENJOY…

One love,
Angela. xxx

0 comments:

Post a Comment